|Deletes Hard Disk Drive Partitions When FDISK Won't|
Partition Zapper is a free program that solves the infamous "Partitions exist but they don't exist" problem caused by Microsoft FDISK. This problem is well documented in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 261473:
Partition Zapper removes all partitions from a PC hard drive, regardless of the operating system, utility, or virus that created them. This easy-to-use program can be run from a command prompt after booting from a boot floppy or system startup diskette (see screenshot). After deleting partitions using Partition Zapper, new partitions may be created using Microsoft FDISK, in preparation for installing a new operating system on the drive.
Note: Partition Zapper will not remedy the FDISK error, "Error reading fixed disk". This error is usually caused by a hardware problem, such as an incorrect jumper, misconnected cable, etc.
1) Download PZAPPER.EXE (16 KB).
2) Copy pzapper.exe to a floppy disk.
3) Boot the PC using a bootable diskette.
4) After PC has booted, replace the bootable diskette with the diskette containing pzapper.exe.
5) At the DOS prompt, type A:\pzapper.exe and press enter.
6) Pzapper will guide you through the rest of the process. Follow the onscreen instructions.